Review: The Heiress of Winterwood by Sarah Ladd

Check out the author's website!

     Sarah Ladd is a "new-to-me" author.  Her debut novel, The Heiress of Winterwood, was endorsed by two of my favorite authors (Julie Klassen and Julie Lessman).  Between that and the gorgeous cover, how could I not read this book?
     On her deathbed Katherine had her friend Amelia Barrett promise to never leave her newborn baby Lucy.  It seems like a simple enough task to Amelia because she loves Lucy with every fiber of her being.  Amelia's betrothed, Edward Littleton, is not of the same mind.  He will not allow Amelia to keep Lucy once they're married.  When Lucy's father, Captain Graham Sterling, returns from his duties at sea Amelia decides proposing to him is the only way she can keep Lucy.  As you would imagine, Amelia's decision causes some drama between her, Edward, and her family.  When Lucy is kidnapped (that much is on the cover blurb so don't yell at me about spoilers)  Graham and Amelia must confront their weaknesses and examine their faith in God.

     The Heiress of Winterwood is absolutely wonderful.  Amelia Barrett is a head-strong, opinionated heroine who isn't interested in conforming to Regency standards.  Captain Graham Sterling is the epitome of being a gentleman.  And Edward Littleton, well, he is everything you would expect a money-hungry English rake to be.  The cover blurb added an element of suspense that would've otherwise been missing.  You know from the back cover that Lucy will be kidnapped, so I kept turning every page wondering if that would be the page where it would happen.  If you're looking for pages and pages about the the beauty of the English countryside then this isn't the book for you.  Ms. Ladd doesn't waste a lot of words on scenery.  On the other hand, if you're looking for a fast-paced Regency love triangle, then brew a cup of tea and settle in.

My rating: 4.5/5 stars.  The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I felt like it could've used an epilogue.  With that being said, I am definitely now a fan of Sarah Ladd and will be diving into her second novel, The Headmistress of Rosemere, this weekend.

Comments

  1. This one's been on my to-read list forever! I love Julie Klassen, so now I know I'm definitely going to read it. :)

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed

Challenge Check

Reels & Reads: Divergent