The Movie Effect

                         

I've been reading the Hunger Games Trilogy this week.  I've made it through The Hunger Games and Catching Fire;  I'll probably dive into Mockingjay after finishing this post.  Honestly, this is one series that I never had any intention of reading.  It's not that I was opposed to the story itself; I'm just not a fan of first person narratives (I realize the irony that this blog is basically a first person narrative).  So, what changed my mind?  Well, my dad is a fan of the movies.  He wanted to Mockingjay on the day after Thanksgiving.  We decided to rent the first two movies so I could watch them on Thanksgiving and we could have a daddy/daughter date on Friday.  I've declined watching the movies before on the off chance that I changed my mind about reading the books.  I'm one of those people who always wants to read the book before I see the movie.  If I watch the movie adaptation first, then the book is designated as 'never-to-be-read' in my mind.  I don't want to read with the voices and looks of actors in my head.  After all, a well-written novel plays like a film when you're reading.  It is with this mindset that I sat down to watch The Hunger Games.  What happened took me by surprise.  Before the first movie was even over I knew I had to get my hands on the books.  I had to know more about these characters.  The kind of details you can only get in a book.  If the movies could make me cry then I was sure the novels would have me sobbing.  If it weren't for the movies I don't think I'd have ever read this series and I would truly be missing out on an amazing story.

So what about you do readers?  Do you read then watch? Or watch then read?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed

Challenge Check

Reels & Reads: Divergent