Do you hear what I hear?

Listen... 

Image via The Daily Geekette
   
What do y'all think of audiobooks?  I listened to my first one this weekend and I gotta say, I'm not really a fan.  Amazon's Audible lets you get your first audiobook for free. So I decided to give it a shot and got Matched by Ally Condie.  I liked that I could listen to the story while washing dishes and folding laundry.  However, it was all to easy to space out.  I had to go back and replay pieces multiple times.  For me, it was so much harder to picture the characters in my head while listening to the audiobook.  The story never quite turned into a movie in my head.  Was it the story itself or was it because I was listening instead of reading?
     Also, Matched had music playing randomly in the background in two or three chapters.  I wouldn't have minded the music if it was all the way through, like a movie soundtrack.  However, just have music abruptly play for a few minutes threw me off.  I don't know if the music was supposed to be a cue that I was at the end of Part 1, like a blank page in a book.  Do other audiobooks do this?

I would love to hear about y'all's experiences with audiobooks! It's still a whole new beast to me.

Comments

  1. I haven't given them a try to be honest (or not in my adult reading life I haven't), but the idea of them doesn't appeal to me. Still, maybe some day I will. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, they've never appealed to me before. But it was free, so why not? That way I didn't have to worry about wasting money.

      Delete
  2. Don't give up on audiobooks! I listened to Matched and the narration was not appealing. The story wasn't that strong either, IMO. Look for something narrated by Jim Dale (he did all the Harry Potter books and The Night Circus). My favorite audiobook in the last year was Code Name Verity!

    Terri M., the Director
    Second Run Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri! I will definitely take your advice and listen to something narrated by Jim Dale before I give up on audiobooks!

      Delete
  3. I'm not a big audiobook lover, either. Especially if the plot is complicated or there are POV shifts. I also get frustrated when it takes me 12 hours to listen to a book that I could read in 4 hours.

    I think some books are better suited to listen to than others. And the narrator makes a big difference for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm listening to Harry Potter now, based on Terri's suggestion. The narration is SO much better.

    Sometimes my thoughts get so loud I miss chunks of the audio, so I think I'll have to stick with listening to books I've already read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Challenge Check

Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed

Reels & Reads: Divergent