Review: Dauntless by Dina Sleiman

Dina Sleiman's Valiant Hearts Series
If you're looking for a book about a faction, well, I hate to burst your bubble but this isn't it.

Dauntless
by Dina Sleiman

Action? Check.
Romance? Check.
Kick-butt heroine? CHECK.

My rating: 5 out of 5 bows and arrows


* * * * *

About the story:  They never planned on becoming a band of thieves, but how else can the orphans of Ellsworth survive?  In this medieval tale, Merry and her "men" take a page out of Robin Hood's (or Robyn of the Hode) playbook and rob from the rich to feed the poor.  They just happen to be the poor.  After two years they've built quite a reputation as The Ghosts of Farthingale Forest.  But happens when someone sets out to track down these ghosts?  Will Merry and her men ever be safe?  Can they ever come out of hiding?

* * * * *

"Stealth. Anonymity. Restraint.

These are our allies.

These three we shall never betray."


My thoughts: This book wasn't on my radar.  Nowhere near it in fact.  I hadn't heard of the book or the author.  So how did I end up reading it?  Well, to put it simply, I have the best dad ever.  He knew I was having a super stressful week with school and work and life.  So he picked out a book and mailed it to me.  And he did a really good job.  This book is great. First off, look at that cover!  It's gorgeous!  And you know what is even better?  The cover model is a dead ringer for the heroine.  Merry is a teenager whose life got turned upside down.  In one night she went from a young noblewoman to the leader of group of kids on the run.  She is independent and guarded and a little scared to lose control.  But the great thing about Merry is that through it all she is still a seventeen year old girl.  She knows she doesn't have time for romance, it could throw off the whole balance of their group, but she can't help but be distracted by all the cute boys around. 

Since this is a medieval story, Sleiman could have written all of the dialogue in Old English.  Luckily (in my opinion) she chose to go easy on her readers and use a blended dialogue making it MUCH easier to read.  For that I am grateful.  

Fun fact: Robin Hood is one of my FAVORITE Disney movies.  So a YA/Historical Christian Fiction novel about a teenage female Robin Hood has my name written all over it.  Still not sure if it's for you booknerds?  Click the link above and you can read a sample of the novel.

Bring on Book Two!

Comments

  1. Awesome review! And I have always LOVED Robin Hood too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this! How often do I find a YA Christian Historical Fiction? Not very.... Great review, Brittany! How thoughtful of your dad :) Hope I get to read this one soon.

    Also, I've tagged you in the Share the Love Challenge. Here's the link to my post: http://thescribblingsprite.blogspot.com/2015/03/share-love-challenge.html?showComment=1427475705089#c8931422054629067778

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think you'll like this one Ally! There were some other points I wanted to touch on in my review, but I'm terrified of the dreaded spoiler. :) And I really do have the best dad in the world!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Challenge Check

Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed

Reels & Reads: Divergent