Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Image found here



Matched by Ally Condie


My rating: 2 stars

Matched is not a match for me.


About the story: Welcome to a world where The Society decides everything, where there is a rule for everything.  The Society decides where you live, what you wear, where you work, and what you eat.  You can't share your food.  You can't run in public,  And don't even think about breaking the rules.  Of course, everything The Society does is to create an optimal life for citizens.  They've learned the optimal age to die is 80.  The optimal age to meet your match is 17.  The Society uses all of the data that is gathered on you to determine your match.  It's all probability and statistics.  Nothing can go wrong.  The Society doesn't make mistakes.  So what happens when they do?  What happens when Cassia is matched with two boys?  Will everything she knows to be good and right unravel?

* * * * *

My thoughts:  Well booknerds, I really thought I would like this one.  The covers call out to me every time I walk through the teen section of the bookstore.  The premise is right up my alley.  I don't know where everything went wrong.  Maybe I'm just too old for the story.  I just couldn't connect with the heroine.  Maybe it was all was just too simple.  Too predictable.  Maybe I just had a different idea of what the story was going to be that didn't mesh with what the story actually is.  All I know for sure is that I have no plans to read the second or third books in the trilogy (which is highly unusual for me).  There was was no "I-need-to-know-what-happens-next-ASAP" feeling when I finished.  Truth be told, if I had been reading the actual book instead of listening to the audio version I may have given up before the end.

* * * * *
What about you, my fellow booknerds?  What book has disappointed you?  What series were you sure you would love, only to be left unimpressed?

Comments

  1. This one didn't impress me the way I thought it would either. I did finish the series, but overall thought it to be just okay. For me, the pacing was too slow and I didn't care too much about the characters. I still enjoyed the story, though. It was 3 star for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will end up getting books 2 and 3 from the library just because I hate to leave things undone. :)

      Delete
  2. Ah, glad to know I'm not the only one. I like the premise, but currently, "Matched" is half finished and back at the library. I started it last year but with school and everything, it fell by the wayside --I guess that says a lot, since I normally like to read a book in one go (4-5 hours straight).

    I want to finish it and get through the trilogy, but like the Divergent series, I'm not caring about the characters enough, though I think the setting/premise for "Matched" may be enough to keep reading ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably read the rest of the series eventually, simply because I can't stand leaving a series unfinished. But I am certainly in no rush. There are plenty of books on my TBR pile to read first.

      The Divergent series is another one that I want to try but I haven't
      started it yet. I think I'm still too in love with The Hunger Games to really get absorbed in another dystopian world.

      Delete
  3. I was not a fan of book 1 or the narration of the audiobook. The most annoying thing for me was that no one said anything with feeling. It was always I said, he said, she said. And I wonder if I would have noticed that if I had read the book rather than listened to it.

    Terri M., the Director
    Second Run Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, have you read books 2 or 3? Did you like them better?

      I get that "The Society" has pretty much stamped emotion out of people, but you're right it was rather annoying. I'm sure if I had read the book instead of listened to it I would have given the characters more emotion than the author intended.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed

Challenge Check

Reels & Reads: Divergent