Review, Review: Will Grayson, Will Grayson


Image via Goodreads


Will Grayson, Will Grayson


by John Green and David Levithan  


 Let me preface this by saying that this is not a novel I would have ever picked up on my own. The class I am taking this summer requires a LGBTQ novel and this was one of the options. Will Grayson, Will Grayson is the story of two boys named Will Grayson (I bet you didn't see that one coming!). One Will is straight, the other is gay. This is the story of how they meet, but even more than that it is the story of Tiny Cooper who is best friends with Will and is in love with the other Will.

* * * * *
My rating: 1 star

If I didn't have to read this for school I never would have made it past the second chapter. There is SO MUCH PROFANITY.  I understand that it is written to appeal to teens (which I am not) and therefore written in a way that teens speak. I know you can't walk down a public high school hallway without hearing profanity. I know it is commonplace in today's culture. That doesn't mean I have to like it or that I have to accept it. NEWSFLASH: Not every teen goes around dropping the f-bomb every other sentence. There are still families that don't use cuss words at home. You can write a perfectly wonderful story without cussing. Most readers are probably intelligent enough to deduce that a character is angry even if they aren't spewing a string of profanities. My real issue with this is that I try very hard not to cuss, but reading those words over and over plants them in my head more than just hearing someone say them and that isn't something that I want.

* * * * *

Sorry for the rant Booknerds! Do any of you have any required reading that you're digging? Leave a comment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed

Challenge Check

Reels & Reads: Divergent