Why do I do that???

My fellow booknerds, I have a confession to make: 
When I get about a quarter of the way through a novel I skip ahead and read the last few pages. Or occasionally I'll flip to a random place in the novel and read a few paragraphs.

This drives my brother nuts when he catches me doing it. If I'm honest, sometimes it drives me a little nuts too. If I'm reading a love story or something along those lines then peeking at the end doesn't make much of a difference. Those stories are often predictable. I know who is going to end up coupled together, so if I peek at their "happily ever after" during a particularly slow section then who cares?  The problem comes when I'm reading a mystery or fantasy. Actually, it's an issue when I read anything with a plot twist. I spoil the ending for myself. I know some major plot twist is going to happen so I can't be shocked or dismayed when it does. Why do I do this???? And why can't I stop? I don't have any answers. I can't even tell you when or how this habit started.


Do you have a habit that you just can't kick? Of course, we all do. It doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing; it's just something you do. Do any of your habits involve reading or books? I'd love to hear about them.

Comments

  1. I can see how that might be a frustrating habit! I understand though. I sometimes have the desire to take a little peek at the end, but I always resist just because I would hate not being surprised!

    Sometimes, if I'm reading fast, I'll skip over a few lines and not even realize it. And then I have to go back and read everything again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally, a lot of times it isn't so bad, but it really, REALLY spoiled the book I'm reading now. (I still love the book, it's excellent. I'm just sad I already know the surprise.)

      Sometimes I skip over lines too. I'll read a sentence where someone is sitting and I'm like "Hang on. Weren't they standing beside this person?" Then I have to go back and see what I missed.

      Delete
  2. Have you seen When Harry Met Sally? :)

    I refer to the Table of Contents and any reference material in pcluded in books way to much. Although it's not as easy to do with electronic books as it is physical books.

    Terri M., the Director
    Second Run Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I've never watched When Harry Met Sally.

      If a book has a map I flip to it WAY to often.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed

Challenge Check

Reels & Reads: Divergent