Challenge Check

Happy 2016 book nerds! This time last year I was signing up for reading challenges. I chose three reading challenges for 2015...and I failed every single one of them. Let's take a look:

The challenge I came closest to completing: Goodreads

Actually, I probably did technically complete this one. I listened to a couple of the Harry Potter audiobooks on repeat and I don't include rereads (or re-listens?) on Goodreads.

* * * * *

The challenge I was most excited about: The Fairy Tale Challenge

This one is hosted by Mel at The Daily Prophecy. My goal was to reach the "Magic Mirror" level by reading 5-9 fairy tale retellings. I got so close....
1) The Fairest Beauty by Melanie Dickerson (review). This one was a retelling of Snow White.
2) The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (I thought I wrote a review of this one, but apparently I didn't. I'll work on that). Hale's tell is remarkably close to the original story.
3) Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge (review to come). This is a very loose retelling of Beauty and the Beast.
4) Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge (review to come). This is an even looser retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. 

You know what? I'm going to go ahead and count Dauntless by Dina Sleiman (review) as number 5. It is a retelling of Robin Hood. Its not quite a fairy tale, but it's close enough. Right?

* * * * *

The budget-friendly challenge: The Show Your Shelves Some Love Challenge


 This one is hosted by Chapter Break and Terri at 2nd Run Reviews. This challenge was all about reading the books you already have instead of buying new books. The perfect challenge for a grad student with a tight budget. I did a spectacularly poor job of reading books that I already owned. However, I used the library much more this year (which is good since I'm in school to be a librarian), so I feel like I got the essence of this challenge. I think I only bought five or six books this year and that is a rather remarkable feat in and of itself. 

* * * * *
Well, there you have it. My reading failures for 2015. I think I'm going to skip the challenges for this year.   What about you book nerds?


Did you complete your reading goals for 2015? What challenges are you doing in 2016? Tell me all about it!



Comments

  1. Wow! You only bought 5-6 books this year? You have way more willpower than I do! =) I like the idea of reading books you already own --I probably have enough books that I could theoretically read from my shelves for the whole year ...

    Considering the fact that we're grad school students, 32 books isn't bad! That's about 1 book every 1 & 1/2 weeks, right? 2015 was my first full year of blogging, so that was a big incentive for reading and reviewing this year!

    My Year in Books According to Goodreads

    I doubled my normal reading goal of 50 to 100, because I decided to count graphic novels and comic books along with, instead of waiting until the after the new year to enter them (so they wouldn't affect my strict novels/books only count).

    This year, I think I'm going to do 100 again. I've got a crazy busy schedule this semester with an internship and other responsibilities. I haven't really looked at any other 2016 reading challenges yet ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you in on the secret to not buying a ton of books: Do not drive within 5 miles of a bookstore during business hours. Haha. I pretty much avoided going into bookstores this year because I knew I would buy something if I went in.

      About half of the books I read last year were thanks to a Young Adult Materials class I took over the summer.

      Good luck with your reading/school goals for 2016!

      Delete
    2. LOL --that's a great way to do it!

      I took a YA lit. class over the summer also! ^_^ Do you want to exchange course syllabi? I'd love to see what your class looked like. You can email me through my blog's contact tab if you're interested ... =D

      Delete
  2. Yes, I think a lot of us in the #ShelfLove Challenge learned restraint. We'll see if it carries through this year. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the #ShelfLove Challenge Terri!

      Delete
  3. Dauntless definitely counts, so you've nailed the challenge! There is no such thing as failing, it's all about having fun and reading good books :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the challenge Mel! It was definitely fun. I will probably end up joining the retelling challenge this year as well. 2016 will be the year that I finally read The Lunar Chronicles!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed

Reels & Reads: Divergent