Reels & Reads: An Introduction

As book nerds, we all know that Hollywood's interpretation and visualization of a book doesn't always quite match our own. With that in mind, I'm starting a new monthly post called Reels & Reads.  On the last Friday of every month (hopefully!) I'll be discussing a book and Hollywood's attempt to bring it to life. I won't be nitpicking every single little detail that is different. I'm sure you can find that elsewhere if that is what you want to read. I will be writing about how the characters and setting appear in my head (and yours) vs. how they're portrayed on screen and whether the spirit of the movie matches that of the book. And, okay, I'll probably pick a tiny difference that bothers me WAY more than it should. 

Do you have a fave (or least fave) adaptation that you want to discuss? I'd LOVE for you to be a guest on the blog! Just send me an e-mail and we'll schedule something.

In no particular order, here are some books/movies that I hope we can discuss this year (subject to change, of course):

The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay
Divergent
Insurgent
Allegiant
Stardust
The 5th Wave
The Maze Runner
The Book Thief
Coraline
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them



Comments

  1. Awesome YA film/book list! How about picture books/illustrated novels? That way if you haven't read the book, it's a pretty quick read. =)

    I personally couldn't stand Where the Wild Things Are (dragged to long as a movie, it was better as a book IMHO, though I did appreciate how they tried to add more dimension into Max and his mother's behavior).

    Hugo (2011) film based on the Caldecott Winner: The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick or the 2013 animated film Epic, which was based on William Joyce's The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs.

    I haven't seen Hugo (read the book) but I did see Epic (haven't found the book yet). =)

    Looking forward to this --love the title of the series, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a splendid idea. Pictures books would definitely help me keep up. I've already read several of these, but I would need to re-read, or at least skim, them to do a proper post.

      Delete
  2. Yay, I look forward to this! Sounds like it will be an interesting discussion. I can be pretty nit-picky when it comes to comparing the movie to a book, but I try not to think so much about the book, so I can focus on enjoying the movie. I like to ask "is the movie good in its own right?" before I start comparing.

    I am so looking forward to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them! :D

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it as well Ally. One of my cousins and I have already made plans to see it together lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed

Challenge Check

Reels & Reads: Divergent