Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed

There I was, strolling through lists of books on Goodreads when a cover caught my eye (I am not ashamed to admit I totally judge books by their covers). It was a photo of a little girl in a pink tutu sitting on the floor. Then I saw the title: Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed: Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism. I was intrigued.




I had to read it. I was wanting to read something outside of my normal fare anyway, add a little non-fiction to my historical fiction and young adult fantasy.  Also, I've been feeling that Autism Spectrum Disorder is something that I personally need to be more aware of, especially as a future librarian who wants to work with children and teens.  Since April is Autism Awareness Month this was the perfect time to read this book.


Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed is Jeannie's memior. It chronicles her life from the age of three through finally being diagnosed with Asperger's in her thirties.  From the outside you would never know she was on the spectrum. She details her struggles with school, never fitting in, and attempting to maintain more than one friendship at a time. Her symptoms were treated but no one ever pinpointed a cause. She couldn't keep a job.

It's a quick, simple read. At times its rather funny. But this book is about something beyond the writing.  If you're not on the spectrum, it is a glimpse of just how difficult life can be for someone who is and it just might help you explain why someone reacted to a situation the way that they did.  If you are on the spectrum, this book is about saying "you're not alone" and "it's okay to be different".


Oh, before you go booknerds, just one little note: sadly, less than twenty libraries in the United States have this book (according to WorldCat). So if you want to read it you'll probably have to go to your library and request it through interlibrary loan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Challenge Check

Reels & Reads: Divergent